The Hanahana Circle of Care
Our Sustainability Promise
At hanahana beauty, we are committed to producer to consumer transparency and to improving the economic, environmental + self-sustainability of women of the shea trade in ways that put your skin and our planet first.
As a solutionary brand, we work to increase accessibility, transparency, and sustainability from producer to consumer.
From ethically sourcing raw ingredients for our products to the creation of skincare products for body and face, we are bringing humanity and constructive change to skincare. We are also dedicated to the mental wellness of Black and brown Chicago youth, the health and preservation of shea trees in West Africa, and a framework to provide a living wage to the producers who keep the beauty industry going.
Our products will always:
Include clean, ethically sourced, + better for you ingredients
Our raw shea and all-natural oils are ethically sourced from women-led cooperatives in Ghana and handcrafted in Chicago, IL.
Our products are never tested on animals and are safe for all skin types.
To pay 2x the fair trade price for shea butter sourced from Tamale, Ghana
We pay twice the fair trade rate for all of our ethically sourced shea butter to ensure that our producers are paid fairly.
Benefit the Hanahana Circle of Care
We created a bottoms-up approach to address the needs of our shea producers, address the wellness of Black and brown youth and leave the planet better than we found it.
We believe that healthcare should not be a privilege. We create access through:
PATHS TO SELF-SUSTAINABILITY (MIND)
The ability to sustain oneself economically is a crucial piece of overall wellness. We create opportunities for our communities to sustain themselves by:
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT (SPIRIT)
We are committed to using clean and ethically sourced ingredients and working to leave the Planet better than we found it.
- Served over 1,500 shea producers, their children, and members of the Katargia community
- Brought technology like a kneading machine to the Katargia Cooperative
- This kneading machine not only speeds up the process of making shea and improves shea quality; it also alleviates the physical shea strain of shea kneading, allowing the producers to have better bodily health
- Held over 100 monthly education workshops covering topics such as how to screen oneself for breath lumps, nutritional education, and how to use universal healthcare benefits
- Raised over $18,000 for Ghana-based social impact initiatives since 2021 through our monthly #carefridays initiative
- 250+ Hep B Vaccines Given, x number of eyewear
- We believe that healthcare should not be a privilege.
- The ability to sustain oneself economically is a crucial piece of overall wellness.
- We are committed to using clean and ethically sourced ingredients and working to leave the Planet better than we found it.
Help Us Bring Water to Katariga
ProblemThe Katariga Cooperative, located in Tamale, Ghana, currently does not have easy access to clean water to bathe and drink produce shea butter. Shea butter production accounts for 100% of their livelihoods.
A New Approach
The Hanahana Circle of Care will build a new water line that will directly lead to a water tank. In addition to serving their water needs, the cooperative will have an additional economic opportunity.
We are raising funds to provide a clean drinking water source for drinking and shea making, in addition to providing storage for water.
of their livelihoods
1 OF 10 PEOPLE
IN GHANA SPEND
access clean water
WALK UP TO
from the cooperative in katariga to get water
WE ARE ATTEMPTING TO RAISE
for a clean drinking water source
of Ghana's population has access to clean water